Health Care

Healthcare on the Costa del Sol is representative of Spain's excellent quality, ranked 7th by the WHO out of a total of 191 countries, and reasonably priced. You will find public or private medical and dental care in every town or village along the Costa de Sol, with medical staff likely to be speaking not only Spanish but also foreign languages.

Emergency numbers

Call 112 - the general emergency number or 061 for an ambulance

Languages spoken: Spanish, English, French and German.

Who is eligible for state healthcare in Spain?

You can take advantage of the public healthcare system in Spain if:

  • You have an EHIC card and are staying only temporarily (see below)
  • You are a resident in Spain paying social security (through employment or self employment)
  • You are a resident in Spain not paying social security but are recently separated or divorced from somebody who is
  • You are a resident in Spain and on state benefits/social security
  • You are a resident in Spain and pregnant
  • You are a student in Spain (and under 26 years old)
  • You are a resident in Spain under 18
  • You are a state pensioner

How can I register for public healthcare on the Costa del Sol?

As in the rest of Spain, you'll have to register with the Dirección General de la Tesorería General de la Seguridad Social (TGSS) to get a social security number. The provincial Costa del Sol TGSS offices and their contact details are listed below or on this website:

European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)

You can get an EHIC if you're an EU citizen. Apply through your country's government website You can use this card whilst on holiday or during a temporary visit to Spain. Take it with you to a health centre or public hospital if you need treatment. If a Spanish national would have to pay a fee for the treatment you receive, so will you. The health centre or hospital treating you will decide whether your treatment can wait until you return to your home country.

An EHIC is not a substitute for medical and travel insurance when travelling abroad. Use an EHIC in conjunction with proper travel insurance.

Private healthcare on the Costa del Sol

If you don't qualify for public healthcare - or if, indeed, you just prefer to go private - you'll want to purchase health insurance. We advice that you talk to an Insurance Broker to be informed about the best options.

Dental care on the Costa del Sol

Dental care in Spain is not covered by social security but the prices are generally reasonable, accessible to most.

Here you will find a complete guide to Healthcare providers in the Costa del Sol: